Doug Cook, RD MHSc CDE
Doug Cook is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Educator working at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto and in private practice. Doug truly understands the food, nutrition and wellness connection to health and well-being. He practices a holistic and integrative approach providing science-based guidance on food and diet along with nutritional supplements and natural health products where appropriate.
Doug has a private practice in downtown Toronto and works on contract as a nutrition consultant for Abbott Laboratories at The Maple Leaf Medical clinic where he has combined nutrition counselling for people with HIV/AIDS with research. He is currently looking at the impact of diet therapy on serum lipids in people with HIV and is also actively involved in nutrition related research at St. Michael's Hospital. Current projects include examining the prevalence and types of malnutrition and associated risk factors in patients receiving hemodialysis and looking at novel treatment approaches and also as a collaborator in other dietetic intern and nursing related research.
Doug’s contributions to the public and profession include writing articles, presentations, and book reviews for community-based magazines, the Dietitians of Canada website, The National Kidney Foundation and serves as nutrition expert for the Ministry of Health’s website www.healthyontario.com, where he writes monthly articles on nutrition. Doug is also a columnist for the Toronto Star’s Vice Squad column and is involved in a variety print media.
- Honours of Applied Science – Food and Nutrition, Ryerson University
- Post-graduate Internship in Clinical Nutrition, St Michael's Hospital
- Master’s of Health Science – Nutrition, University of Toronto
- Certified Diabetes Educator, Canadian Diabetes Association
- The College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Dietitians of Canada
- The Canadian Obesity Network
- Dietitians of Canada – Diabetes Obesity and Cardiology Network
- Dietitians of Canada – Media Network, Executive Member